Friday, February 3, 2017

The Christian Life is like Football



According to Forrest Gump's mama, "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get”. Lewis Grizzard a Southern humorist said "The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your problems, block your fears, and score your points when you get the opportunity." My favorite analogy between life and football comes from the legendary coach Vince Lombardi whose team won the very first Super Bowl game. He expressed a similar sentiment by saying. "Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication, respect for authority and in order to win the game you have to play as a team.  Doesn’t that sound just like being a church going Christian?
This week I heard New York Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall, a committed Christian who will be featured on a video we will be showing at our weekend services, talking about what it takes to be a successful receiver in the NFL. He said, “The receiver hears the play in the huddle, runs a pattern with the sole purpose of creating separation so he can receive the football thrown from the quarterback. The receiver has many obstacles as he runs the pattern given to him by the quarterback. There are eleven defensive players that are there to get in his way and distract him from his task. There are specific defenders, defensive backs, whose sole purpose is to not let the receiver catch the ball. My job as a receiver is to successfully complete the play my quarterback calls.”
As I think about this I realize that my walk with God is a lot like a receiver. I get my instructions from God, by reading the Bible, His playbook, then go out into the world and try to follow God’s plan for my life. My challenge is to be aware that I live in a world that tries to block me from doing this. I live in a world that tries to misdirect and distract me.  My job is to create separation from the world, keep my eye on the ball so I can receive and follow His plan for my life.
This Super Bowl Weekend join us in all 4 services at C3 as we highlight testimonials from some NFL greats as well as current players from the Patriots and Falcons.  Wear your favorite team’s colors and be sure to invite a friend to one of these special services Saturday at 5pm Sunday at 8:30, 10, 11:30am.  
Your pastor and partner in ministry,

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment