Monday, January 12, 2015

Daniel

My Story
Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.” Daniel 6:10b (NIV)

Have you ever been in a pinch? Usually for me it comes when there are circumstances in my life that I can’t control. Circumstances that affect me, but that are beyond my control, make me want to find comfort in things I can control like eating things that are sweet and salty. This feels like an easy way to get some comfort but in these situations, what feels comforting going in my mouth doesn’t do anything else that is good for the body.

In Daniel 6:10, Daniel had just learned that if anyone was caught praying to anyone else besides King Darius, they would be thrown into the lion’s den. Now that’s a serious pinch! But Daniel’s reaction is amazing. He went home, threw his windows open, and prayed anyway. I’m not thinking he did this because he felt good. I’m imagining he felt like anyone would feel in overwhelming circumstances. But he rose above his feelings to make a choice. A choice he has made over and over again habitually” And do you know what he chose to pray? “God, save me!” “God, it’s not fair!” “God, this is too much!” “God, smite my enemies and wipe them out!” “God, You know I can’t handle this without bags of chocolate chip cookies and gummie bears.” No. None of the above. What Daniel prayed is a powerful lesson for us all. Daniel 6:10b tells us that Daniel spoke prayers of gratitude. “Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.” “Just as he had done before”, Daniel was in the habit of praying daily. Since Daniel’s response is so opposite of the way most of us would react, it makes me stop and ponder. Our initial responses are usually a by-product of lives right under the surface of our emotions. Since Daniel was a man who continually sought God in prayer thankfulness to God and God’s nature and how He provides was front and center in Daniel’s heart—even in the midst of uncontrollable circumstances. I am challenged and inspired by Daniel’s response and hope you are too.

Your pastor and partner in ministry,

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment