Monday, January 5, 2015

Time

We all have the same amount of it each day.
24 hours, 1440 minutes, 86400 seconds.
When we become adults, time seems to speed up. I find myself thinking things like, “where did the time go?” And “wow, time flies!”

I've realized in searching for my scripture verse of the year that I need to take more time to play and enjoy this wonderful life God has given me.

The verse I have chosen this year is psalm 16:11, “You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.”

With the best of intentions you may tell yourself to work now and play later, not remembering that work sometimes takes up all the time, leaving no time for play, not realizing that you haven't played for a long, long time. But play is a reflection of God’s ways just as much as the most serious prayer or good work. Your whole person needs the alternating rhythms of activity and rest, work and play.

God is playful. He delights in us, his creation. He gave us a playful side so I can only think that he has one too. We who are made in God’s image are meant to play—not just when we were children but also now as an adult. We are meant to look at things with childlike wonder and joy. My niece Bella asks me to play with her a lot and I have learned to embrace my inner child by saying yes more often than not.

If you have been too busy giving your life over to work, you are missing out on the glorious gift of play. Playing refreshes the spirit. Play helps you break out of the box and think in unexpected ways.

I encourage you to let your inner child come out and play, often. Play can restore the joy in your heart and the joy of the Lord is our strength.

“Let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever.” Psalm 5:11 NLT

May you all have a playful 2015!
Ericka Pfeifer
Pastors Assistant
Your Verse
What is your Scripture Verse of the Year?
Memorize it. Meditate on it.
Mark it on the wall of the service you attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment