Thursday, January 1, 2015

Pastor Nick Eiden

As I prayed and studied, waiting for God to reveal my scripture verse of for 2015, I concentrated on asking God what He wanted me to learn or change. Of course, that list is long, but I kept coming back to the idea that He needs me to be solely focused on Him and His plans for my life, family and ministry. I found Acts 5:29, and felt that this was the verse that God would have me apply in my life.

Peter and the apostles were brought to the high priest and the high council, having been just arrested (for the second time in two days) for teaching about Jesus. The high priest admonished the apostles for defying his orders, and they gave their answer. The opening of their reply is my verse of the year:

“We must obey God rather than any human authority.” Acts 5:29 (NLT)

Facing ridicule and harsh punishment, the apostles stood firm in their beliefs, and their obedience to God. They were arrested for teaching publicly about Jesus, as they were told to do by Jesus himself in Matthew 28:20, and more recently by an angel of the Lord in Acts 5:20. It mattered not what any person told them. It mattered not what the societal standard was. It mattered not what their families might think. All that mattered was obeying God.

God desires, and expects, our obedience. What human authority are you listening to, that is taking you away from obeying God? What goals are you chasing that are distracting you from pursuing Jesus wholeheartedly? What person are you idolizing as you strive to impress them? What temporary item are you placing your faith in? What amount of money are you unwilling to give up? What level of safety do you require?

This world is full of distractions that pull us out of God’s obedience. Pray that God will reveal to you where your true allegiance lies. Then, as it says in Proverbs 6:8, “in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” When you cast off the standards of humans, you are free to do God’s work – in your family, your workplace, your church, your community, and your world.

My family and I wish you all the greatest blessings for 2015, and pray that you maintain an eternal perspective through this, and every year.

Pastor Nick Eiden
Your Verse
What is your Scripture Verse of the Year?
Memorize it. Meditate on it.
Mark it on the wall of the service you attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment