Thursday, May 22, 2014

Maranantha




Jesus talked about his return in John 14:3 when he said:
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
 Jesus was very clear saying said, 'I will return, I'm coming back.'
In the first century church Christians were so excited about the return of Jesus that they actually had a greeting that they would use with each other. They would welcome each other grabbing the hand of another believer saying with faith and hope in their eyes, the Aramaic word "Maranatha!" which means, "Our Lord is coming or Come Lord Jesus!" There was this almost electric sense of anticipation from Christian to Christian as they greeted each other with “Maranatha, He's coming back”! As Christians today living in what I believe are the last days, we too should have this sense of anticipation about our Lord’s return.  
As I shared in last Sunday’s message there is scripture that speaks to our receiving the reward of a crown if we are eagerly awaiting the return of Christ.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. 2 Timothy 4:8 Are you longing for his appearing?
Too many of us are too attached to the things of this earth and that dulls our hunger for heaven. We are warned that “we are our citizenship is (not of this earth but) in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ,” Philippians  3:20
Last night as I kicked off a three week mid-week series called “The End”. I taught this lesson to people who were eager to learn about being caught up in the clouds with Jesus when he returns, that which we Christians call “The rapture”. More importantly we discussed how we are to live in the light of the certainty of Christ’s return. Tomorrow in this blog I will address that scripture specifically. Until then I say to you my sisters and brothers, with hopefulness and expectancy “Maranatha!”
Your pastor and partner in ministry,
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment