Tuesday, July 8, 2014

America's Godly Heritage



I have shared with you in the past how much I love the 4th of July holiday. I agree with John Adams who believed that the Fourth of July should become a religious holiday. He wrote, “ next to the birthday of the Savior of the world, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day the Fourth of July?"

Last Friday  I curled up on the couch and watched the 1972 movie musical “1776” and then the 7 hour long HBO mini series “John Adams”.  I love this stuff and because my wife loves me, once a year she puts up with my couch potato behavior. I’m not ashamed, I love celebrating our nation’s birthday because I believe all the evidence points to God’s hand being upon our nation from it’s inception. 

Last Sunday in a message to our Colby congregation I shared a message about “America’s Godly Heritage”. I believe that honest men and women cannot dispute the spiritual foundations of our nation's laws. The Declaration of Independence, drafted by Thomas Jefferson declared unequivocally that "all men are created equal ... [and] endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights..."  (Actually Jefferson penned inalienable rights, but John Adams who thought it was grammatically incorrect had it changed at the printers)

Did you know that inscribed on the walls of both the House of Representatives and Senate are the words "In God We Trust."
Engraved on the metal cap at the top of the Washington Monument is a Latin phrase “Laos Deo” which means "Praise be to God." 

When entering the National Archives to see the original Constitution and Declaration of Independence, you must first pass by the Ten Commandments prominently displayed at the entrance. 

And in the Supreme Court building, on the walls above where the justices sit, is a depiction of Moses holding the Ten Commandments.  It is no exaggeration to say that our Supreme Court judges literally sit in the shadow of Moses.
Even Thomas Jefferson, the president who once wrote a personal letter extolling the "wall of separation between church and state" (a phrase never used in any of our founding documents), wrote “Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God” .

America truly has a Godly heritage and I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
one nation under God indivisible (or is it undividable?) with liberty and justice for all.

Your pastor and partner in ministry,

Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment