Wednesday, February 17, 2016

What Love Is …and Isn’t

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11536027_1409081736088810_916683940814655670_n.png?oh=9317c450091e03b709577a571dcc9515&oe=576765C0
At C3 we are committed to helping to build healthy marriages between committed Christian men and women and the foundation of healthy marriages is love.

There are a couple of popular misconceptions about what love really is. One is that love is a feeling.

A second misconception is that love is uncontrollable. We've all heard people say, "I fell in love."  Like you're walking down the street one day, trip, and fell in love, like you couldn't help it.  There is a real danger of this misconception.

When you say "I fell in love" you're really saying it wasn't my fault, it just happened. That opens the door to say "I fell out of love with you."  "I couldn't help it." That is the big lie satan wants us to buy..

The Bible says that love is controllable.  Jesus commanded that we love each other.  You and I have control over who we love and who we don't love.  We get to choose.  I have control over when I love and when I don't love.  I get to choose.

This leads us to a couple of things that God says about love.  He helps us to understand what it really is.

God says that love is a choice.  "And over all these virtues, put on love, which binds them all together." Colossians 3:14 We must choose to put it on.  There's an action that I take that makes it work in my life.  If it were a feeling, or just an accident, then God couldn't command it.  But He can command an action in our lives.


God also says that love is a matter of conduct.  It's how I act. I John 3:18 says "Let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and truth."  Actions -- that's what love is really all about.  It's how I act towards another person.  You can talk until you're blue in the face but your heart will always be read in your actions.


With love from your pastor and partner in ministry,

Kyle

C:\Users\Kyle\Desktop\War-Room-2015.jpg


98.5 The TRUTH presents “War Room” Friday at 7:05. Free admission, pop and popcorn.

Inspire’s “Couples Night Out” Saturday 5pm. Bring a healthy dish to share and $10.

No comments:

Post a Comment