Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Fatherloss

My father was killed by a drunk driver when I was a teenager and it changed my life. I was confused, angry, I felt abandoned, I lost my compass when my Dad died and I went off course for over a dozen years. In 2001 Author Neil Chethik wrote a book “Fatherloss: How Sons of All Ages Come to Terms with the Deaths of Their Dads.” He commissioned a survey of 300 men and found that 65 percent said the death of their father affected them more than any other loss in their lives. Chethik said, "Each man experienced a significant reordering of his inner landscape."
In the Old Testament when Jacob died, Joseph experienced a great loss. We read that "Joseph fell on his father's face, and wept over him, and kissed him" (Genesis 50:1). The period of ceremony, mourning, and burial lasted more than 2 months.
For most of us, our fathers will die before we do. And we should feel free to grieve our loss, whether our memories are happy or painful. In the meantime if our Dads are still with us, I hope you took some time this weekend to express to your Dad thanks for giving you life. Even if you have had a rocky relationship with your Dad, honor him as the Bible instructs.
Your pastor and partner in ministry,
Kyle
Break Out YOCO 2015
June 26-27
Host homes and donations still needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment